Pages

July 08, 2008

Summertime

Yesterday was not the hottest day we've had this year, but it was buggy and muggy and just not much fun. Neither the horses nor I had much motivation to do anything, so I just rode a couple of them and then organized... cleaning out the trailer from the show on Sunday (which was a lot of fun!), updating feed and turnout charts, administering the bi-monthly dose of wormer to all the horses (it comes in a tube you stick in their mouths and squirt into the back of their throats but it tastes horrible so it can be a little bit of a "catch me if you can" game), etc. Even with less riding than usual, I was hot and sticky by the end of the day and was grateful and excited to get a phone call from Luke suggesting a dip in the nearby Battenkill River. He ran by the house and picked up my swimsuit, and off we went. Although the water was a little colder than he had thought it would be, it felt delicious. Those of you who know me to be a cautious cold-water-enterer should be very impressed that I was the first one to jump all the way in underwater! The public-access spot we stopped at was not very deep, so we didn't really "swim," but it still felt wonderful just to be in the cool water.

After a short detour back to the barn to check on a horse, we came home to a lovely light dinner of toasted pita bread, raisins, feta cheese and homemade tabouleh from a dear Iranian friend.

Yummy! I haven't had good tabouleh in awhile, and this was wonderful - it even included dried mint from our friend's sister in Lebanon! A perfect ending to a hot summer day. Thank you Wassim :)

1 comment:

beth said...

Oh, that sounds so good. Next time I'm there I hope Wassim will come over and cook for us!