Pages

January 29, 2009


This is something I've been meaning to do for a very long time. More than a few times I have sat down at my computer and started listing in my head things I am thankful for. But for some reason I keep putting it off, not taking the time to actually write the list down or share it with anyone. So, the procrastination ends here. I have decided that my inability to list all the things I would like to at once is no reason to put off listing anything at all (very hard for my perfectionist self to do...)! So this is a beginning.
For winter things:
1. Beautiful snow that fell last night, refreshing the white blanket covering our world at the moment.
2. Morning sunshine turning the snow into crystals, coming through my window and warming our home.
3. Our wonderful woodstove! It is an absolute gift and in the chilly mornings I rarely leave the 8-ft. radius around it where the heat is the strongest if I can help it! (Luckily the computer, loveseat and refrigerator are all in this radius!)
4. Warm clothes. On these frigid days I am all too mindful of those who don't have Carhartt coveralls, fleece hats and winter boots to insulate them from the freezing temperatures.
5. My little canine heater. I'm sure she will show up on this list many times, but when it's chilly out she is a wonderful source of comforting heat as she curls up next to me on the couch and snuggles in for a good nap.
6. Our electric teakettle. It heats up water in a heartbeat for tea, hot cocoa or instant oatmeal, all warming necessities in a New England winter!
7. My husband and his commitment this fall to cutting, splitting and stacking firewood (and yes, I helped!) and this winter to bringing in heavy armloads, getting the woodstove going in the mornings and keeping it well stoked throughout the day so that the house is toasty warm when I get home at night. (And yes, I do my best to help and fill in when he's gone and I'm at home and most days I'm pretty successful. :) )
That's it for now. I feel as though it should be longer, but now that I'm started I'll be back often. :)

1 comment:

beth said...

Mmmmmm, how I would love to be curled up beside you and miss canine heater with snow falling outside, woodstove warming up inside, electric kettle heating up water for a perfect cup of tea together. Oh, sweetheart, I am soooo thankful for you and for what a wonderful husband you have. Miss you both, a lot!!!!

Hugs,
M