Pages

June 25, 2010

When life gives you overripe bananas...

... make banana cookies! I had just one banana that was getting brown and a little too soft even for Clara, but I didn't want to waste it. I thought about making a small batch of banana bread, but wanted something healthier that Clara could snack on as an alternative to cheerios (which she loves). I have found this website helpful throughout Clara's introduction to solid foods, so I searched and found just what I was looking for: banana and oat teething biscuits! I (of course) modified the recipe a little bit, here's my version:

Mix together:
2/3 c oat flour (i.e. rolled oats coarsely ground in a coffee grinder)
1/3 c quinoa flakes (just because I had them - I'd do all oats too, or add in any other grain or flour you wish)
1/2 t baking powder
teeny tiny dash salt
dash each nutmeg and ginger (cinnamon and cardamom were also recommended, I didn't try them though)

Mix together and then add to dry ingredients:
1 overripe mashed banana
enough water to make 1/2 c liquid
dash vanilla extract

Mix well and drop onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet by the teaspoonful. Mush flat (mine were about the size of a silver dollar). Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes or until the edges just turn brown. Remove to wire rack and let cool.
I have to say, they are really quite yummy! (as in, I have snagged my fair share of them too!) They are pretty sweet for not having any sweetener other than the banana. Clara LOVES them. She's not quite ready for them whole, I break them into even smaller pieces for her, but I'm thinking of trying a stick shape next time to see if that's better for her. I'm storing them in the fridge which seems to be working well. These will definitely become a regular around our house, and I'm thinking of other ways to make them too. I may try a savory version next with broccoli and a little cheese. Mmmm....

No comments: