Pages

June 05, 2006

Anniversary and a Horse Show

Wow, it's hard to believe that one year ago today Luke and I got married. It's been fun remembering our wedding this morning. So far we are enjoying a quiet, restful day at home; we're hoping to head out later to do a little shopping and have a nice evening. With all the business in our lives these days, it's so nice to just take a day and relax together. We talked about making plans, or "doing" something, but decided we just wanted to spend some restful time together, which has been great.

We celebrated in a different way yesterday, a way that seems quite appropriate for us - we went to a horse show! It was our first show since we've been married, and my first time competing in over five years. I took one of Jamie's training horses, Annie, who I've been working with a lot since we've been here. She is a sweet, beautiful, Belgian-Thoroughbred mare who just turned 7 and is 16.3 hands tall (she's a big girl!). Jamie rescued her and her sister (who has since been sold) a couple of years ago, but hadn't had time to work with Annie consistently since then. She was skin and bones when she came, incredibly nervous, couldn't be caught, scared of everything, and had only been ridden a handful of times. But she's been progressing beautifully, and has wildly exceeded everyone's expectations. She's been a joy to ride.

At the show yesterday we did the walk-trot division, since we just started cantering her last week. She absolutely loved the show ring and was relaxed and unflappable all day, which is amazing for her! We did four out of the six walk-trot classes (we didn't do the halter or trail classes), got three blue ribbons, one red, and were reserve champions! So it was a great day. Here are some pictures of my wonderful girl:

Galen, an amazing young rider at the farm, took these pictures. She's a great photographer too, and I'll post some more of her pictures tomorrow. Now Luke and I are off to do night check at the barn and then head to bed. Take care and keep us posted on your lives!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

1 year...Hard to believe! Everyone always says the first year is the hardest, but I don't think so! I thought it was wonderful...like a year long honeymoon! Happy anniversary!!

Melanie said...

Erin - It's hard to believe it was one year ago that you were married. So much can happen in a year!!! Your mom told me that you had a blog and I found a link to it from the Unsells website. It's now on my favorites so I can catch up on your happenings from time to time. Take care and I hope all is well with you!