Pages

February 03, 2009

As Requested

Here is Grammie's granola recipe, much loved by all the Pinckney generations. :) I've also included an approximation of my own adapted recipe, although I change things every time I make it depending on what I'm craving at the moment. I must say, though, that the most recent maple-pecan variation is, I think, one of the best yet. So without further ado, here they are:

Grammie's Granola

3 c rolled oats
1/2 c wheat bran
1/2 c wheat germ
1/2 c whole wheat flour
1/4 t salt
~1 c nuts, any kind (Grammie usually uses slivered almonds, my favorite is pecans)
1/4 c water
1/2 c oil
1/2 c honey
1 t vanilla

Mix dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients and add to dry, mix well. Spread on a greased 9x13 baking sheet and bake at 250 for 1 hr., stirring every 20 minutes.

I always substitute ground flax seeds for the whole wheat flour, and have used a mix of chopped almonds, pecans, and/or walnuts for the nuts.

I have substituted combinations of corn syrup and maple syrup for some or all of the honey.

I usually reduce the oil to 1/4 c and up both the water and sweetener to compensate, or sometimes use 1/4 c oil and 1/2 c fruit juice (white grape, apple, etc.) instead of the 1/2 c oil and 1/4 c water.

I usually bake in two 9x13 glass baking dishes as the thinner layer helps the granola dry out faster, although I also do one dish sometimes and just let it bake a little longer. Once the hour is up I stir the granola one more time, turn the oven off and return granola to the warm oven for another hour or so (or until I remember it!) to finish drying and cool.

For Apple Cinnamon Granola: substitute apple juice for the water and 1/4 c applesauce for 1/4 c of the oil. Add 2 t cinnamon to the dry ingredients. (I usually use walnuts with this version.)

For Maple Pecan Granola: use 1 c (or slightly more) chopped pecans for the nuts. For wet ingredients use 1/4 c water, 1/4 c oil, 1/4 c honey, 1/2 c maple syrup and 2 t vanilla (or up to 3/4 c maple syrup, replacing the honey - I use honey to keep the cost down slightly).

Have fun experimenting and enjoy the results! :)

4 comments:

beth said...

Boy, I haven't made any of that famous granola in a looong time. Need to get on that!

Love you, honey,
Hugs,
M

kkp said...

YAY! thanks erin!

Erin said...

You're welcome! I have another batch in the oven right now - it dissapears fast eating 1/2 c for breakfast every morning! I did maple pecan again this time and mmm, it smells delicious.

kkp said...

i'm making this tonight.

i am excited. :)